More Research On the Real Dangers Of Microwaves
It all started with a scientific invention back during World War II. Scientists invented the so called magnetron – a tube producing microwaves which in turn could be used for the British radar system spotting Nazi warplanes in the sky.
Then in 1945 a man called Percy Spencer from the Raytheon Company accidentally melted a candy bar in his pocket with radar waves ‘turned on’.
He went on to cross-check the assumption that microwaves were actually able to raise the internal temperature of food more rapidly than conventional oven. What followed was a sheer triumph, eventually bringing microwaves into most kitchen of the world.
But what also followed was an ongoing dispute about the real dangers of microwaves. After all, it is a form of radiation and living objects normally do not ‘cope well’ with these sorts of energy emissions.
If used improperly, microwaves do present serious health hazard. It’s no surprise then that radiation experts constantly advise keeping children away from microwaves.
So far, a microwave remains a well-used item in many kitchens, even though health experts warn of its leaking radiation that causes a range of health problems.
Professor Magda Havas, of Trent University in the UK, is a radiation expert herself and constantly reiterates that most of the appliances out there still do emit harmful radiation despite being *protected* against leaks.
> "I've tested over a dozen of the most popular brands, and every single one that I've tested has leaked," she told reporters.
Let’s not forget, that our human bodies are largely made of water, readily absorbing any kind of radiation. Professor Havas went on to describe the most common and harmful effects of using microwaves at home.
Of course, there will always be conflicting opinions on the dangers of microwave use, but most scientists agree they can be a factor in causing cataracts, which indeed is a common cause of poor vision in people over the age of 40, eventually leading to blindness.
Professor Havas stated,
>"Standing in front of your oven watching your food go around unequivocally causes cataracts […] If you do it over and over and over again you will absolutely damage your eyes."
Then there’s a range of carcinogens present in a microwaved meal, as microwaveable food contains specific chemicals to aid the process. BPA, polyethylene terpthalate (PET), benzene, toluene, and xylene – are present in one form or the other and all have been linked to cancer numerous times. Besides, it’s becoming common knowledge that the plastic containers also leak carcinogens when they are heated, especially in the microwave.
Another part of Professor Havas’ research is to monitor the heart rate of people standing next or near microwave ovens. Every person monitored in her research experienced a variation in heart rate while the oven was on. Havas determined this as "unequivocal evidence" that microwave frequency must affect the heart.
A former Swiss study also found that people who ate microwaveable meals experienced a sharp drop in red blood cells, and a sudden rise in white blood cells and cholesterol levels.
Despite all of her research findings, you’d be surprised Professor Havas does own a microwave, though. She says that her family is using it in a *specific way* and always recommends leaving the room when the microwave is on to protect against radiation.
> "If you're going to use it, go out of the kitchen and don't just stand on the other side of a wall, really walk away. The waves travel through walls so you are still at risk."
So finally, she insisted on using the microwave only when kids are well away from the appliance or getting rid of it altogether - no matter how convenient it might be.