The only thing better than pizza is pizza cake and the only thing better than pizza cake is vegan Mexican pizza cake! That's right – three layers of sun-dried tomato jalapeño cornbread plus refried beans, nacho cheese, guacamole, pizza sauce, and veggies galore. This cake is nothing short of epic.
Serves: 5-6 Cook Time: 90
For the Cake:
- 1/2 of 1 15.5-ounce can oil-free refried beans
- 3/4 cup guacamole
- 1/3 cup vegan nacho cheese
- Pizza sauce of your choice
- Sliced avocado
- Grilled bell peppers
- Diced red onion
- Fire-roasted corn
- 3 batches of the sun-dried tomato jalapeño lime cornbread (recipe below)
For the Sun-Dried Tomato Jalapeño Lime Cornbread:
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil, for the skillet
- 2 tablespoons jalapeños, diced plus more to top if desired
- 2-3 tablespoons salt-free sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
To Make the Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a circular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken and create a chia egg.
- Add apple cider vinegar to milk and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and combine thoroughly. Add in the sun-dried tomatoes and jalapeños, then mix again.
- Add applesauce, milk mixture, and chia egg to dry ingredients. Mix just to combine.
- Pour cornbread into baking pan, filling it to the top. Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
To Make the Pizza Cake:
- Top the first layer of the cornbread with refried beans and nacho cheese. Add the next layer on top of that, then top with guacamole. Add the final layer, then top with pizza sauce, sliced avocado, grilled bell peppers, diced red onion, and fire-roasted corn.
- Serve sliced with a side of lime.