These samosas have all the delicious and savory filling you love, but instead of the typical doughy exterior, this recipe uses rice paper! Brushed lightly with coconut oil and then baked in the oven, it's a healthier and lighter twist on the traditional Indian favorite.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small carrot, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 sheets rice paper
- Coconut oil, for brushing
- Begin by sautéing the onion in a non-stick skillet with the coconut oil, over medium heat. When the onion is translucent, add in the carrots and sweet potato. Stir to gently start cooking and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk, water, vinegar, and lentils and stir to combine.
- Add the cumin seed, curry powder, turmeric, and chilies, and taste to season with salt. Stir to combine and then cover and let simmer over medium heat, stirring often, and adding more water if necessary.
- When the mixture is cooked and most of the water is absorbed, remove the cover and let it finish reducing down to a thick consistency – you do not want any liquid leftover.
- Once it is cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare to make the samosas, by getting a bowl of warm water to soak the rice paper, and a baking tray. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Soak each piece of rice individually to soften it, and when it is softened, place on the baking tray. Fill with 1/4-1/3 cup of lentil mixture and then fold the edges over to seal each samosa. Work quickly, as the rice paper will start to lose its softness. Repeat for the remainder of the lentil mixture.
- When all the samosas have been prepared, melt some coconut oil and gently brush it on each side of the samosa. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, before flipping and repeating on the other side. They should be crispy.
- Once crispy, remove from the oven and serve.